Bhagavad Gita – Ancient History
The Bhagavad-Gita is the essence of Vedic knowledge and one of the most important Upanishads in Vedic literature.
This knowledge was first uttered to the Sun god (Vivasvan) by Lord Sri Krishna. And the Sun God, Vivasvan explained it to Manu and Manu explained it to Ikshvaku. And in this way one by one this yoga came in the succession of disciples. But over time this knowledge was lost.
Gita Jayanti – Why is it celebrated
Gita Jayanthi – On this holy day, the Sacre Hindu text Bhagavad Gita was again spoken to Arjuna by Lord Krishna. It is celebrated in the month of Margashirsha (Mrigashiras/Margazhi) of the Hindu calendar. It is celebrate on Shukla Ekadashi. The Bhagavad Gita was spoken by Sri Krishna to Arjuna just before the battle of Kurukshetra began. The same was narrate by Sanjaya to King Dhritarashtra (father of the Kauravas).
Sanjaya received a boon from his Guru Ved Vyasa that enabled Sanjaya to observe the events of the battlefield from a distance. As the battle of Kurukshetra had just begun, Arjuna’s heart melted when he saw his loved ones on the other side of the battlefield. He told Lord Krishna that he would not be able to take up arms against his near and dear ones. It was then that he approached Lord Krishna, who played the role of Arjuna’s charioteer, for advice.
Therefore, the Bhagavad-Gita was addresse to Arjuna because he was a friend and devotee of the Lord.
Gita Jayanthi Date 2022
In 2022, Gita Jayanti is celebrate on Saturday, December 3.
Begins – 05:39 AM on Dec 03, 2022
Tithi Ends – 05:34 AM on Dec 04, 2022
In 2023, Gita Jayanti is celebrate on Friday, December 22.
In 2024, Gita Jayanti is celebrate on Wednesday, December 11.
Gita Jayanti celebrations
Gita Jayanthi is celebrated by devotees of Lord Krishna (Vaishnavas). Vaishnavas are followers of Sanatana Dharma and consider the Bhagavat Geeta to be the highest literature.
- This holy book helps us to restore our relationship with the Almighty. Devotees observe Ekadashi fast on this day.
- Devotees in temples chant a mass recitation of the 700 verses of the Bhagavad Gita throughout the day. Holy forums are organize by yogis and spiritual gurus.
- Bhagavad Gita arti is also recite which speaks about the glory and importance of this very important holy book.
- Many places hold competitions for children where children are challenge to recite the Geetha. Games are also playe to convey the importance of this holy book to the children.
- The main intention of all these things is to encourage children to understand the holy Geetha in detail.
- Gita Jayanti is a day to understand the essence of the Bhagavad Gita. It is time to recite the scriptures and move one step closer to the Lord.
- Followers of Lord Krishna consider this day one of the most auspicious days of the year. This day is like a big festival for these devotees.
- The Bhagavad Gita has always been one of the most important holy books of Hindus, so of course, Geetha Jayanti also has a special significance for Hindus.
Gita Jayanti 2022 – Date, Significance and Rituals
Bhagavad Gita is the most sacred and important Hindu scripture that influences many people and Gita Jayanti is the birthday of Bhagavad Gita. That is why it is also know as Bhagavad Gita Jayanti. This day falls on Shukla Ekadashi month. This festival takes place in November or December, according to the English calendar. It is on this holy day that Lord Krishna sent an eternal letter to Arjuna at Kurukshetra. This day is celebrate by the followers of Lord Krishna all over the world.
Gita Jayanti is celebrated by reading the Bhagavad Gita and discussing how it has benefit humanity even today with learned priests and scholars. Followers of Lord Krishna also fast on Ekadashi and many sacred songs are sing while dancing together. Puja is perform, sweets are distribute, and people wish each other Happy Gita Jayanti. The main objective of Gita Jayanti is to memorize and incorporate the words of Gita into our daily life. It enables people and families to lead brave and positive active lives.
Gita Jayanti Puja Vidhi
According to Shastras, people worship Lord Krishna, Maharishi Ved Vyas and Shrimad Bhagavad Gita on Mokshada Jayanti day and also observe fast. There are some rituals that have been prescribe for observing fasts and performing religious services. Let’s start Puja Vidhi of the auspicious Mokshada Ekadashi Vrat.
- The day before the Ekadashi fast i.e., Dashami Tithi, you have to eat only once in the afternoon.
- And don’t forget to resolve to fast on Dashami by avoiding taking any food at night.
- Wake up on Ekadashi the day before sunrise and definitely fast with a pious heart.
- After you have firmly decide to fast on Ekadashi day, worship Lord Krishna and offer him Dhoop, Diya, Naivedya etc.
- On Ekadashi night you must follow the practice of worshiping Lord Krishna and Jagran.
- Worship and serve the needy or give donations after Ekadashi Day and before Muhurta Parana Dwadashi. Once it’s over, do a Piranha or finish the meal quickly.
Gita Jayanti Rituals
The day is celebrate with great enthusiasm in temples dedicate to Lord Krishna, which includes performing pujas with special prayers. On this day, devotees from different parts of India and abroad like to go to Kurukshetra and take a dip in the sacred pools.
- Apart from taking a holy bath, the puja of Lord Krishna can end with performing aarti at home.
- As Ekadashi is celebrate, it is vital that devotees fasting on this day should not eat any grains like rice, wheat or barley.
- Many planned celebrations were hold to teach the youth of today the importance of Dharma by explaining the Gita on this special day.
Things to remember on Bhagavad Gita Jayanti?
There are certain things you must remember on Bhagavad Gita Jayanti:
- With a pious heart, you must acknowledge Shrimad Bhagavad Gita and also perform Darshan of LORD Krishna on Gita Jayanti Day.
- Then pray to him for intelligence.
- Whenever necessary, implement the Shlokas in life to get their essence. You can get ideas from Slokas which can easily eradicate numerous problems in your life.
- Worshiping conch shells along with Mokshada Ekadashi Vrat on Gita Jayanti is also believe to be beneficial. The sound of the conch eliminates harmful vibrations after worship and allows Maa Lakshmi to appear. It is believe that after Lord Vishnu is satisfy, he showers his grace.
- You can also perform authentic Vishnu Puja online to get blessings from the Lord.
On this day it is consider holy to worship the gigantic form of Lord Krishna. Those who do the same will attain peace and all their pending work will be successfully resolve. Whatever the family’s differences; on the day of Gita Jayanti the members must start reciting the Path of Gita.